Migrate a protected system in x360Recover
In certain circumstances, you may want to relocate a protected system from one device to another. This could be for several reasons including migrating to a new appliance or balancing storage consumption between vaults.
In order to facilitate this process, x360Recover has the ability to perform a full migration of protected systems, including all recovery points, job histories, and metadata from one device to another.
Note on minimum storage space requirements:
When migrating a protected system from one device to another (appliance to appliance, or vault to vault) the protected system data is first sent to the new device and stored in the aristosbay folder, and then imported into the ZFS pool. Because of this, the new BDR device needs to have enough storage space to hold both copies of the data during the migration process.
Since data is stored twice on the receiving unit while a migration is in flight, the new unit must have enough total capacity to hold all of the protected systems you wish to migrate and still retain enough free space to hold a second copy of the largest protected system being migrated
How to migrate to a new appliance:
To migrate to a new appliance or migrate to a new Vault, please carefully follow one of the two procedures listed below:
Important note: Please migrate only ONE system at a time. Also do not create a new user in the license portal for the new appliance you are migrating to but instead add a new location to the existing user account. If a new account is created instead of a new location on an existing account replication will not be able to continue on the new appliance.
1. Verify that no backup or replication jobs are active for the protected system by checking the, "Backup and Replication" pages on the Jobs menu.
2. Stop and Disable the x360Recover Agent Service on the protected system.
3. On the appliance, set the retention policy to Basic and -1 so retention will not roll off any snaps.
4. On the appliance, from the, "Protected System Details" page of the system you are migrating, select the Migrate button.
If replication is configured for the protected system, replication settings (including remote connectivity settings defined on the Vault Settings menu of the appliance) will be copied, and migrated to the new appliance.
5. Choose a migration method by clicking on the corresponding radio button from the following settings:
Note: If migrating via USB, an encryption password is required.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do NOT lose this password as it cannot be recovered!
6. When you have selected your desired migration setting, and entered your encryption password, click the Migrate button to begin the migration process.
Note: you can Monitor the progress from the System tab on the Jobs menu pane.
7. If migrating via network, the migration process will automatically complete in two steps:
(a) Migration Export on the source appliance, and then (b) Migration Import on the target appliance. Once the Export job is completed successfully on the source appliance, the Import job will automatically start on the target appliance. Then:
- Verify that the migration job completes successfully on the Source appliance.
- Verify that the migration job completes successfully on the Target appliance.
8. If migrating via USB, once the export process completes on the Source appliance, connect the USB drive to the Destination appliance.
From the, "Protected Systems" page, click the Import button, and then select the protected system being migrated.
You will be prompted for the Password.
8. Monitor the Migration Import process from the System page on the Jobs menu. Verify that the job completes successfully.
- Once the migration has successfully completed, reconfigure the Agent for the new appliance, or change the IP address of the new appliance to match the old appliance:
- To update the Agent on the protected system: Edit Aristos.cfg on the protected system, and change the IP address to that of the new appliance being migrated to.
- If migrating within a cluster, once the job is successfully received on the destination Appliance you must reconfigure the Agent to point to the new Appliance IP address.
How to migrate to a new vault:
Migrate to a new vault:
Important note: Please migrate only ONE system at a time.
1. Disable replication on the appliance for the protected system that is being migrated from the Protected System Details page by unchecking the Enabled checkbox shown below on the far left side of the window.
Then, click the Save button.
2. On the Vault, from the Protected Systems Details page of the system you are migrating, select the Migrate button.
3. Choose a migration method by clicking on the corresponding radio button from the following settings:
4. Click the Migrate button to begin the migration.
If migrating via USB, an encryption password is required.
IMPOTANT NOTE: Please do not lose this password as it cannot be recovered!
5. Monitor the progress from the System tab on the Jobs menu pane.
6. If migrating via network , the migration process will automatically complete in two steps:
(a) Migration Export on the source Vault, and then (b) Migration Import on the target Vault. Once the Export job is completed successfully on the source Vault, the Import job will automatically start on the target Vault.
- Verify that the migration job completes successfully on the Source Vault.
- Verify that the migration job completes successfully on the Target Vault
Once the migration has successfully completed, you may re-enable the appliance to replicate with the original Vault and/or add a new Vault and enable Replication, and click on the Save button.
To add the new Vault, click Add, select the new Vault from the dropdown list, Select the OLDEST snapshot and click Save. Do NOT select USB Seeding.
To stop replicating to the original vault, select Delete button from the Replication Settings dialog box, and then click on the Save button:
You may choose to simply delete the replication partnership, or delete both the replication configuration and the Protected System Data from the Vault, and then click on the Save button:
NOTE: You must type in the case-sensitive hostname of the Protected System to enable the Delete button action, and then click on the Save button.