You attempt to uninstall the desktop client on a Windows machine using the Windows Programs and Features utility, or the Uninstall Synced Tool application found in the installation directory (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Synced Tool). The uninstall process fails using both of these methods.
Step 1: Remove Services and DLLs
- Launch services.msc on the Windows machine. In the Services dialog box, right-click the Synced Tool service and select Stop. The Synced Tool service will stop.
- Launch the Task Manager. In the Processes tab, right-click the agent_service.exe process and select End Process. The Task Manager will prompt you to confirm this action.
Note: If you cannot see the agent_service.exe process, click the Show processes from all users button located at the bottom of the Task Manager dialog box.
- While still in the Task Manager, right-click the agent_gui.exe process and select End Process. The Task Manager will prompt you to confirm this action.
- Unregister the x360Sync Overlay DLL:
- Launch the Command Prompt with elevated privileges.
- In the command line, navigate to the path where you installed the desktop client (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Synced Tool\bin).
- Unregister the DLL using the following command:
regsvr32 /u anchoroverlay.dll
- Close the Command Prompt window.
- Return to the Task Manager to end and restart the explorer.exe process, which will complete the process of unloading the x360Sync Overlay DLL.
- In the Processes tab, right-click the explorer.exe process and select End Process. The Task Manager will prompt you to confirm this action.
- In the Applications tab, click the New Task button, type explorer.exe, and then click the OK button. The explorer.exe task will resume.
- To delete the service, launch the Command Prompt with elevated privileges and run the following command:
sc delete SyncedTool
The service will be removed from the machine.
- Delete the desktop client’s entire installation folder (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Synced Tool).
Step 2: Clean Up Files
Note: If you encounter any errors while deleting this folder, make sure that the agent_service.exe and agent_gui.exe tasks are not running.
- If you are working within a Windows XP machine, delete the desktop client’s application launcher from the Start menu, or from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Synced Tool.
- Alternatively, if you are working on a Vista or Windows 7 machine, delete the desktop client’s application launcher from the Start menu, or from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Synced Tool.
- Delete the desktop client’s shortcut from the Desktop.
Step 3: Update the Registry and Restart the Machine
Note: We strongly recommend that you export the registry before making changes. Please proceed with caution, and edit at your own risk.
- Remove the following from the registry:
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Synced Tool X.X.X.XXX
- Restart the machine.
If the desktop client has not been fully uninstalled, re-run the sc delete SyncedTool command from the Command Prompt window with elevated privileges. Restart the machine again.