ConnectWise PSA is business automation software that helps IT service providers efficiently manage all aspects of their business. ConnectWise is provided as a web application combined with a rich desktop or mobile client.
Axcient can be configured to push information about Axcient services into ConnectWise, using the ConnectWise integration APIs. You must use the MSP ConnectWise add-on to do this.
The following integration features are available:
- Automatic creation of service tickets when backups have failed and other notification events have occurred, such as no backup notifications or disk usage These tickets will be automatically resolved if the system detects the failure was later fixed.
- Populating of backup statistics for use by ConnectWise’s executive management
- Automated billing for online backup (total GB and number of servers and non-servers).
- Automated billing for local backup (number of servers and number of non-servers).
- Automated billing for email archiving (mailbox count).
- Automated billing for Email Security (DoubleCheck) email filtering (mailbox count).
After set up, Axcient will automatically push new information into ConnectWise. For example, Axcient will attempt to push information into ConnectWise within 60 seconds every time that a backup ends or a service status update is pushed into the Web Portal, although Axcient will not update ConnectWise for a given customer more frequently than every 12 hours.
One time setup:
If ticket integration is desired, ConnectWise service status is updated and cross-referenced to the ticket status used by the integration API. Then an integrator login is created within ConnectWise, which allows Axcient to push information to ConnectWise.
If billing integration is desired, ConnectWise products are cross-referenced to Axcient services. Next, the ConnectWise integration is configured within the Web Portal. Then, after every backup or service status update, Axcient automatically updates the quantity of additions on each agreement for each company in ConnectWise. You set the price for the corresponding ConnectWise products to be the unit prices specified in the agreement. In this way, invoices generated by the agreement are accurate.
Per-company setup: To setup ConnectWise ticket integration and backup statistics for an individual company, add the Axcient management solution to that company and assign a managed ID linking the ConnectWise company to an Axcient customer record. For billing integration, add a new agreement to the company, and then add one agreement addition per service to be billed (such as online backup or email filtering).
ConnectWise must be told which ticket status to use when Axcient tries to create a ticket with a “Not Responded” (new) status. Since Axcient only creates new tickets, this is the only status which must be cross-referenced. To set this up, refer to the example below as you complete the following steps:
- In ConnectWise, go to the Setup tab, and choose Setup Tables.
- Search for the Service table, Select Service Board, select your Board Name, and select the Statuses tab to open
- Edit (or create) the status in the service board that you want to use. Make sure the External Integration XRef field is set to Not Responded (Set).
Service boards that have been cross-referenced in this way will now be available for integration.
Effective January 1, 2020, ConnectWise has issued an end of life schedule for their legacy SOAP API.
All partners using the SOAP API must reconfigure their ConnectWise integration to use the newer REST API prior to January 1, 2020 to ensure that their ConnectWise integration continues to work without interruption.
The primary configuration difference between the SOAP and REST API interfaces is user authentication. The legacy SOAP interface utilized integrator login accounts for configuration, while the newer REST interface uses API member logins with security keys.
Axcient has released an update to the billing portal enabling ConnectWise to use the REST API, but some user configuration changes are necessary in order to activate it. Each Axcient partner currently using the ConnectWise integration feature within the billing portal will need to perform the changes to their configuration as described below.
The updated REST API depends on keys (not on login credentials.)
To generate an API key from ConnectWise for use in the Backup for Files (BFF) portal, login to ConnectWise and follow these instructions:
Navigate to System > Members
Find the API Members tab
API members are special login accounts valid only for performing REST API operations.
- API members cannot login to the ConnectWise client or web portal.
- API members do not consume user licenses.
- An API member account can have one or more security keys associated with it, used by third party integration for authentication to ConnectWise.
Note: ConnectWise access restrictions are configured at the API member level, when necessary.
Create the API Member ID & generate the API key
Typically, you would create (a) one API member for each integration you need to configure, and (b) one API key for each member.
Please note that the member name and description shown in these examples is unimportant - merely a friendly name to clearly identify the integration for which it was created.
After you've created and saved the member ID, create an API key for that member.
The public and private keys created here serve as the username and password for your integration login.
Important note on private keys: You can only view the private key immediately after it is created! There is no way to reveal this private key again at some point in the future. IMMEDIATELY capture the private key and save it within your secure password vault before proceeding. If you've lost the private key for an API member account, you must create a new key and capture its private key at the time of creation.
Skip this step if you are not setting up billing integration. ConnectWise uses products to track different line items that can appear on agreements and thereby on invoices. You should setup one ConnectWise product for each Axcient service that you want to automatically bill for. These products will represent the unit price for each billable unit for the service (such as the number of GBs, the number of servers, and the number of mailboxes). Depending on what you need to bill for, create new ConnectWise products for one or more of the following, as appropriate for your company:
• Select Online Backup Storage
• Basic Online Backup Storage
• Online Backup # Servers
• Online Backup # Desktops
• ShadowProtect BDR Storage
• ShadowProtect BDR Servers
• ShadowProtect BDR Desktops
• Local Backup # Servers
• Local Backup # Desktops
• Local Backup Storage
• Email Archiving # Mailboxes
• Email Filtering # Mailboxes
- Because there are different Axcient backup service plans, one ConnectWise product is created for each online backup service
- You can customize the product Correlations between Axcient services and ConnectWise products are setup explicitly later on, so the actual names of the ConnectWise products can be customized according to your preference.
- Normally, you do not need to create a Local Backup Storage Typically, you bill for local backups based on the number of servers and desktops rather than the amount of storage that is protected with local backups.
Follow these steps for each ConnectWise product you need to create (refer to Figure 3):
- In ConnectWise, navigate to the Setup tab, and then click the Products
- Click the New icon and fill in the Product ID and Description fields (see the recommended description above).
- Select a Category/Sub Category, Product Type, and Product Class in their respective We recommend choosing Managed Services, Software, and Service, respectively.
- Select Each in the Unit of Measure
- Set a list price for the default price in the Unit Price
- Enter a simple one-line description in the Customer Description field, such as “Basic Online Backup, $1.50/GB.”
- Repeat these steps for each product that you need to create.
Note: These products should only cover usage charges (for example, setting up a charge for a flat monthly price that includes 25 GB of online backup storage) and do not cover any fixed price service fees for Axcient services.
To add additional fixed-price Axcient services:
- Create a separate product for the flat monthly price of the fixed-price Axcient service.
- Add both products (for example, “Basic Online Backup w/ 25 GB” and “Basic Online Backup Storage”) to your customer’s
- Modify the agreement addition for the product being used to charge for extra usage (for example, “Basic Online Backup Storage”) to include a certain amount (such as 25 GBs) for
After you have configured your products, your product list might look like the one shown below:
A management solution must be setup in ConnectWise to represent the Axcient services.
- In ConnectWise, navigate to the Setup tab and choose the Setup Tables
- Search for and open the Management IT
- Click the New icon and choose a management solution name (such as Axcient).
- In the Management IT Solution field, select
- In the Custom Solution Name field, enter the same name you chose above in step 3 (such as Axcient).
- Do not fill in a username or password or change anything else. Instead, just click Save.
Skip this step if you are not setting up billing integration. Otherwise, complete the following steps:
- In ConnectWise, navigate to the Setup tab and click the Setup Tables
- Search for and open the Managed Devices Integration
- Select the management solution you created in Global Setup Step 4. Configure the Management Solution in ConnectWise.
- Select the appropriate Integrator
- Select Global in the Login By
- Check the Disable Newly discovered Cross-References checkbox.
- Select Detailed in the Billing Level
- Check the Match on Serial Number
- Leave all other options
Click Save to save the changes to the record.
11. The Cross-References tab appears on the bottom half of the screen.
- For each ConnectWise product that needs to be cross-referenced with an Axcient service, perform the following steps.
- Click the New icon in the top-left corner of the cross-reference
- Complete the Level, Type, and Configuration Type fields based on the table below:
- In the Agreement Type field, select Managed Service (or whatever is appropriate for your Any agreement type is okay).
- In the Product field, select the correct ConnectWise product to associate with the corresponding Axcient service
ConnectWise integration must be activated in the Web Portal. To perform this activation, complete the following steps:
- Login to the Web Portal with your company’s Partner Senior Manager user
- Select My Partnership -> PSA Credentials on the Main
- On the Integration Credentials page, check the ConnectWise PSA
- Enter the URL where the ConnectWise PSA is hosted in the ConnectWise Site URL
Note: ConnectWise requires https for integration. This entry should start with https:// in the URL.
- Enter your ConnectWise Company ID, Integrator Login Username, and Password (created in Step Create an Integrator Login) in their respective fields.
- Click Save Changes.
- Login to the Web Portal with your company’s Partner Senior Manager user
- Select My Partnership -> Integration Setup on the Main
- Check the Update Backup Statistics checkbox to update Backup Statistics on the executive management report.
4. Check the Update Invoice Descriptions checkbox to update the billing invoice line item descriptions with detailed, per-account disk-usage
5. If you are using billing integration, check the desired checkboxes to enable the services that you configured for billing integration.
6. Click Save Changes to save your changes.
This section can be skipped if you do not push tickets about Axcient events into ConnectWise.
Otherwise, to configure such notifications in the Axcient Web Portal, follow these steps:
- Choose the My Partnership > Partner Notifications menu
- Click the Create a New Notification link at the bottom of the
- In the Notification Action field, select Open a ConnectWise
- Decide which event severities you are interested Typically you will only want to be notified for a ticket when there is a warning or error.
- Select which types of events should trigger a ConnectWise ticket (if the event severity matches your chosen settings).
- In most cases, you can just leave the Subscribe to All Event Types field to its default value of Yes so that you are notified for a warning or error of any type (for example: backup failure, archiving failure, BDR hardware failure, and so forth).
- Finally, click Create.
Step 8. Configure Partner-Wide ConnectWise Data Synchronization
This section can be skipped if you do not synchronize backup statistics or perform billing integration.
To enable these features, follow these steps:
- Login and choose the My Partnership->Partner Notifications on the Main
- Click the Create a new notification link at the bottom of the page.
- Select Synchronize with ConnectWise in the Notification Action
- Select Yes in the Subscribe to All Event Types field to subscribe to all event
- Select Yes in all the other fields to subscribe to all event
- Click Create to create a new
Now that ConnectWise integration has been configured globally, you must perform some additional steps for each ConnectWise company that needs to integrate with Axcient services. These steps will cross-reference Axcient accounts and customers with ConnectWise company records.
Note: The following sections describe the steps you must perform for each ConnectWise company.
A. Go to ConnectWise
1. In ConnectWise, navigate to the System tab, then select Setup Tables.
Note: Do not make additions from the COMPANIES tab or an error like this will occur:
If you see this error, please verify that you are going to the System on the bottom left, using this icon:
2. Type in Managed and press enter to search.
3. Select Managed Devices Integration.
4. Select the Company tab and find the the company records to configure.
5. Click on the correct Device Integration Name.
6. Click on the Companies tab on the top navigation bar:
7. Select the Company Name.
8. Click the + icon to add a new Management Solution.
B. Next, log in to the Axcient BDR Portal using the Account Center (Visual View):
9. Make a note of the Axcient Customer ID number (found in the ID column).
In the example highlighted below, the Axcient Customer ID number is 19652:
REQUIRED Managed ID Entry #1: Workstations and Servers
C. Return to ConnectWise.
10. Return to ConnectWise and enter the EFS-[efolderCustID] in the Managed ID field.
For example, enter EFS-19652.
11. In the Device Type field, select Workstations and Servers.
Note: The Workstations and Servers field must be the first entry.
There will be a ConnectWise data flow issue if the Workstations and Servers and Backup Stats are switched in order of entry.
12. Leave the Agreement field blank. This field must be blank.
13. Click Save.
REQUIRED Managed ID Entry #2: Backup Statistics
14. Click the + icon to add a new Management Solution.
15. Fill out the fields again for the same Managed ID information with the EFS-[efolderCustID].
For example, enter EFS-19652
16. In the Device Type field, select Backup Stats. (This must be the second entry only.)
17. Leave the Default Agreement field blank. This field must be blank.
18. Click Save and then Close.
Note: Ensure the entry order has Workstations and Servers first and Backup Stats second, as shown.
A ConnectWise data flow issue will occur if these two entries are switched.
19. Select the Company > Management tab and then click the Printer icon.
This will generate the ConnectWise Management Report , which tells you if backup sync is working properly.
After the two entries have been fully configured, the backup statistics on the Executive Management report will be updated after each backup completes. Here is an example report with the backup statistics updated by the Axcient integration process:
In this step, add agreement addition(s) to one or more agreements to bill for one or more Axcient services.
If you are not using billing integration, skip this step.
Otherwise, perform the following steps:
- Open the Company screen in ConnectWise and find the company record to Click the Company Name to start editing the company record.
- Click the Agreements Find the agreement to which you want to add the Axcient agreement additions or create a new agreement.
- Click the Additions
- For each Axcient service you want to bill for, click the New button and edit the new agreement addition as follows:
- Click the magnifying glass icon to find and select the appropriate ConnectWise product associated with the Axcient service you want to bill for (as determined in Step Cross-reference ConnectWise Products with Axcient Services)
- If the other line items on the agreement already include a certain amount of the resource that is being billed for, enter that amount in the Less Included For example, if this agreement addition is for BDR offsite storage, you might use 150 in this field.
- Customize the unit price, if necessary
- If you wish to track your cost, enter the Unit Cost as well (for example, 30).
- Set the Effective Date to the first day of the billing
- In the SerialNumber field, enter EFS-[efoldercustomerid] (for example, EFS-342)
- If Axcient is not configured to update invoice line item descriptions, then enter the description you want to appear on the invoice in the Invoice Description field.
After the initial ConnectWise integration has been fully configured, you can add new ConnectWise Client Companies and create new Web Portal user accounts.
For each new ConnectWise Client company integrated with Axcient services, you must add the two Management ID entries you previously configured in ConnectWise. (Repeat instructions under Step 1. Configure the Managed ID for a ConnectWise Company.)
- Every time a backup ends (or a service status update is pushed into the Web Portal), Axcient will attempt to push information into ConnectWise within 60 seconds.
- Axcient will not update ConnectWise for a given customer more frequently than every twelve hours.
- We record the success or failure of pushing information into ConnectWise in the partner Event Log in the Web Portal:
- Select Accounts> Account List (Detailed View) on the Main Menu Enter the user account in the Quick Search box and click Search.
- In the Account No. column (fifth labeled column from the left), click the [E] beside the Account Number.
- In the Event Information column (third labeled column from the left), each row represents a different After notifications are processed by the notification system, you can see details on actions taken by clicking the Notifications link.
- When you click the Reprocess Notification link, the notification process re-syncs within the next several minutes instead of waiting for the normal 12-hour daily sync to
- It is possible to search the event log only for events that encountered problems while processing their notification actions. To search for such events, at the top of the Event Log page, click the Advanced Search tab, choose the Notification Processed Error List in the drop-down field, select the LIKE operator, enter ?* for the search term, and click the Search button:
This will return a list of events with notification action problems (such as pushing information into ConnectWise).
Select the Company > Management tab and then click the Printer icon.
This will generate the ConnectWise Executive Management Report and display the Backup Status sync properly.
Complete the following steps for each Web Portal user name account and each ConnectWise Company Setup:
- Create a separate email address to use for Notifications and Contact Information.
For example, email@example.com is different from the ConnectWise Service Board address Support@companyname.net used to create tickets.
- In the Web Portal, perform the following steps:
- Click the [I] link to impersonate the user name
- Under Contact Information, enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the Email Address and Confirm Email Address
- Click SAVE at bottom of the page.
- In the Web Portal:
- Click My Account>
- Ensure the appropriate checkboxes are checked so the associated notifications will be received.
- Be sure to check the box for No Backup Notification
- Be sure to check the box for No Error Free Backup Notification
- Uncheck Enable External Ticketing Alerts
- Click Save Changes.
- Click Stop Impersonating in the upper right
- Repeat these steps for each user name account.
Important! ConnectWise Tickets must remain on the originally-configured Integration Service Board. Tickets should not be moved to a different service board or changed to a child ticket. Doing so will break the Integration sync and cause duplicate tickets.
What does it mean if you receive a username or password error (similar to the following example) in one or more of your Web Portal Event logs?
*ERROR: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. --- Username or password is incorrect --- End of inner exception stack trace"
This error means the integrator usernames and passwords (either in the ConnectWise Table and/or the Web Porta)l do not match. To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:
- In ConnectWise, choose Setup> Setup Tables> Integrator Login > Username and Password. Then, reenter the username and password and click Save. Note: Manually type in the data rather than copy and paste, to avoid blank spaces being inserted.
- In the Web Portal, choose My Partnership> Integration Setup.Be sure the ConnectWise PSA checkbox is checked.Retype the username and password in the corresponding fields, then click Save. Important! Be sure to type this in rather than copying and pasting, due to extra blank spaces that may be inserted. Also, make sure these login credentials match exactly what you entered in the ConnectWise Integrator Login Table.
- Reboot the ConnectWise
- Allow the Web Portal to sync up after the ConnectWise Server has The sync will typically occur twelve hours after reboot.
The ConnectWise Management ID Error is a common problem which may occur after completing initial Axcient ConnectWise integration.
After you create new user accounts in the Web Portal, adding the two entries in ConnectWise Company (under the Management tab) will associate the Customer ID number (CID) with the ConnectWise Company, providing the connection for the Integration Sync.
If you experience this error and need help making these associations, establishing this sync, and resolving this problem, please use the instructions available here:
Updated: February 2021