You can customize
- which messages are reported in the event log
- which messages generate an e-mail alert
- who should be alerted for each type of event
By default,all types of messages are reported in the log, but no e-mail alerts are generated.
To customize event logging and alerting:
1. Click the events button at the top of the UMC page and select the configure alerting option in the left navigation menu.
2. The Alerting page appears. The event types are divided into categories (Bare Metal Restore Lock Events, Bare Metal Restore Unlock Events, Device Events, and so on) in the middle of the page. To display the types within a category, click the plus mark (+) to the left of the category heading.
After clicking a plus mark (+), an expanded list of event types appears. Each type includes two check boxes:
Visible in log box - Checking this box writes event messages of this type to the log. All event types are checked by default, which means all are included in the log. To remove a message type from appearing in the log, uncheck the box. (The box is a toggle that adds or removes the check mark on each click.)
Publish to psa tool box - Checking this box sends event messages of this type to a configured Professional Services Automation (PSA) tool. This box is unchecked by default. (To be notified when PSA integration is not working, configure alerting for PSA integration Failed.)
3. To send an e-mail notification when an event of a particular type occurs, click the notify someone button to the right of that type. (To select an entire category, select the notify someone button to the right of that category.)
A dialog box appears to the right of the selected button. (It is a modal dialog box, which means you must complete this operation before continuing.)
4. Under alert these people by email, a list of potential recipients appears. The displayed list includes all defined users. (To add a recipient to the list, first add that person as a user and then return to this step.) Check one or both of the following boxes for each recipient to be notified:
- Check immediately to send an e-mail message whenever the event occurs.
- Check daily digest to send a cumulative list of these events once a day at 6:00 The digest e-mail is a single cumulative list across all event types checked for this user.
5. When the list of recipients is correct, click the done button. The dialog box disappears, and the list of e-mail recipients appears in the gray box to the right of the notify someone button. (If the gray box is blank, no one is sent an e-mail when that type of event occurs.)
Repeat Step 4 and Step 5 for any type (or category) for which you want an e-mail notification sent.
Click the save button at the bottom of the Alerting page to apply the changes. (If you leave the page before clicking the save button, none of the changes will be saved. The save button can be clicked at any time to save changes made up to that point.)
Alerting e-mails use the following format:
Subject: appliance_alias_name - message_type [: job_name]
The message_type is the name that appears in the Alerting page. The job_name is appended to the Subject line if there is an associated job.
If the appliance alias name is not known (or is undefined) at the time the message is generated, the client name appears at the beginning of the Subject line. If neither is known, the appliance bar code appears at the beginning of the Subject line.
In addition to the selected alerts, the daily digest e-mail includes the offsite storage and offsite backup progress information displayed on the dashboard at the end of the e-mail. This lets you monitor offsite progress at a glance.