Manage retention settings on a Unified Management Console (UMC)
The Unified Management Console (UMC) is the user interface for a specific Axcient appliance.
To manage job retention on a UMC for up to 10 backup jobs:
- On the UMC, click the dashboard tab. The Dashboard page displays.
- In the Disk Utilization panel (bottom left of the page), click the Retention Management link.
The Retention Management page displays.
3. In the Retention Management page, review the following fields:
- The Drive Space Available field displays the amount of free space on the disk. This is a fixed value that does not change until retention changes are applied.
- The Predicted Usage field displays the amount of space needed to store the jobs listed on the right. This is a dynamic value that changes as you try different retention values for the individual jobs (before applying the changes).
- The Schedule: job_name field displays the average size of a backup for the job (the average size of each incremental backup) and the number of retained backups. It also includes a sliding bar that allows you to preview how the size of the job would change if you reduced the number of retained backups. The sliding bar is dynamic and can be moved at any time. Moving the sliding bar changes the number of retained backups and the corresponding effect on the total value in the Predicted Usage field.
4. Optionally, to adjust a single backup job, move the sliding bar for that job to the desired number of retained backups, and then click Apply Retention. Repeat this step for any job you want to change.
5. Optionally, adjust the group of jobs as a whole, move the sliding bar for each job you want to change to the desired number of retained backups, and then click Apply All.
6. To reset the page without applying any changes, click Reset .
Manage retention settings on an Axcient appliance-based service
1. Click Edit and then click the green Configure Service button:
2. The Service-Wide Protection Policy screen appears.
Click Edit to make changes.
3. From the next screen, you can configure:
- the time between backup jobs (Interval)
- when backup jobs should start (Starting at)
- how often backup jobs should run (Frequency)
- how long a backup job should be stored (Retention)
To learn more about these choices, review Backup Schedule Types.
4. You can reset to the default settings by clicking the blue Reset to Default button.
5. Remember to click the green Save button when all configuration choices are complete.
Have more questions about retention settings?
- For a detailed discussion of retention setting as part of the overall backup strategy, please review the Axcient Unified Management Console User Guide , beginning at pp. 39
- For a summary of backup schedule types and settings, review the following articles: