The Axcient BRC appliance and the data center provide replication protection for both local and cloud replications.
However, the user has the option to use a direct-attached storage (DAS) device as a separate replication archive.
In this case, an export drive (the DAS device) is attached to the Axcient BRC appliance. Replication jobs are then selected and copied to the Archive DAS. The user can then store the export drive in a safe location. The data can be restored from the export drive to any Axcient BRC appliance at a later date.
To begin the Archive DAS process, do the following:
- Connect the DAS directly to the Axcient BRC appliance.
- From anywhere in the UMC, click the Options link located in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down to the Export to removable drive section. The user will be shown a list of all the replication jobs for all devices protected by the appliance.
- Next, click the Mount Drive button so the appliance can mount the DAS device. This will allow the appliance to copy all the local replicated data to the DAS.
- Next, select the jobs that will be copied to the Archive DAS from the menu and select the Export Option. The user has the following export options:
- Export selected jobs – Select this options to copy/overwrite the selected jobs to the Archive DAS. This overwrites any existing data of the same name already on the Archive DAS. Existing jobs with different names will not be affected.
- Export selected jobs (no retention pruning) – Select this option to copy/append the selected jobs to the export drive Jobs already on the export drive are updated to match the appliance version except that restore points which are pruned on the appliance but still exist on the Archive DAS are not deleted.
- Clear all existing data and then export selected jobs – Select this option to first delete all existing data from the Archive DAS and then to copy the selected jobs to the Archive DAS. If no jobs are selected, this option will delete all existing data on the Archive DAS.
- Once the DAS has been successfully mounted and the jobs have been selected, click the Start button, and then click OK to continue. Wait for the appliance to finish copying all the jobs to the Archive DAS.
- Once the process is complete, click the Prepare drive to disconnected button. IMPORTANT NOTE: Failure to click this button before removing the DAS may corrupt or otherwise damage the Archive DAS and/or the data.