Axcient BRC provides the option of copying a cloud replication job to a Direct Attach Storage (DAS) device for the initial seed replication job to the Axcient Cloud.
- The initial run of an cloud replication job could take a substantial amount of time because all data must be copied and the copy speed is limited by the user’s Internet connection.
- If the initial cloud replication would take more than 14 days to complete, the user has the option to use a DAS device for the data transfer.
To copy a cloud replication job to a Direct Attach Storage (DAS) device, the device is connected to the Axcient BRC appliance, the cloud replication job data is copied to the device, and the device is then shipped to an Axcient BRC data center where the data is transferred into the Axcient storage system.
The following steps must be completed:
1. Confirm the Backup Offsite option is enabled
The first requirement is to confirm that all the devices’ replication jobs have the Backup Offsite option enabled.
The DAS device will only be able to copy replication jobs with this option enabled.
Do the following:
1. Log in to the Unified Management Console (UMC) of the appliance protecting the target devices.
2. Click on the Devices tab in the top navigation menu.
3. In the Devices page, select a protected device.
4. In the device’s Backup Job screen, click the replication job name that will be copied to the seed DAS.
6. For File Jobs: If the selected job is a File job, click the the Edit Jobs button in the left-hand menu.
7. For File Jobs: Now, confirm that all the required files and folders are appropriately selected for Cloud replication.
Click Save to commit any changes.
2. Start the initial seed process
All replication jobs with the enabled Backup Offsite option will be copied to the seed DAS.
The user is unable to specify specific jobs to be copied to the DAS. The best way to control which jobs are copied to the initial seed DAS is by enabling/disabling the Backup Offsite option.
To begin the initial seed DAS process, do the following:
1. Connect the DAS directly to the Axcient appliance.
3. Scroll down to the copy removable drive for offsite section. The user will be shown a list of all the replication jobs with the Backup Offsite option enabled.
4. Next, click the Mount Drive button so the appliance can mount the DAS device. This will allow the appliance to copy all the Cloud replication data to the DAS.
5. Once the DAS has been successfully mounted, click the Start button, and then click OK to continue.. Wait for the appliance to finish copying all the jobs to the seed DAS.
6. Once the process is complete, click the Prepare drive to disconnected button.
Failure to click this button before removing the DAS may corrupt or otherwise damage the seed DAS and/or the data.
7. Put the DAS back in the original packaging and send it back to Axcient.