Three image backup scan modes
- Full scan (legacy) mode is based on a single VSS snapshot.
- IR (Intelligent Replicator), also called Optimized scan, is based on two VSS snapshots: one from a previous backup cycle and the current snapshot. The comparison and incremental change calculations are performed on the protected device. This mode is much faster than the legacy mode because the change calculation does not involve a network at all. Everything is done on the protected server. Obviously, this utilizes additional CPU time and RAM on the server (but not very much.)
- Block level scan or FD (Fast Delta) is an evolution of the IR mode, with some additional optimization for a huge numbers of files.
|For a full discussion of image backup modes, please see BRC - Image Backup Scan Modes Explained|
How to troubleshoot issues with optimized scans (aka IR)
IR (Intelligent Replicator), also called Optimized scan, is based on two VSS snapshots: one from a previous backup cycle and the current snapshot.
ERROR MESSAGES WHEN IR TOGGLE IS REQUIRED
• Detected last failure
• Error Code 223
• Failed --- Error – Errors occurred during backup. Errors occurred during task
• Error code 166
• Could not find ‘c:/Axcient/SID’