Problem: The user received the following error:
Backup '<Job Name>' on <IP Address> failed during pre-backup ping
Cause: The appliance is unable to reach the target device. This may be due to the target device being offline at the time of the replication, or the appliance being unable to recognize the hostname.
Solutions: The user should do the following to resolve the connectivity issue:
Solution 1: Ping the Device
First, the user should ping the IP address of the target device to confirm the device is truly offline. If the user is unable to ping the target device, that means it is offline and replications will be unable to start. Work with the appropriate team members to bring the device back online and attempt to begin a replication job.
If the user is able to ping the target device , it means the appliance is unable to resolve the hostname of the target device. Please continue to Solution 2.
Solution 2: Configure Device IP Address
If the user can ping the target device, but continues to receive the above error, the user will need to reconfigure the Hostname or IP address field.
- Log in to the UMC of the appliance protecting the target device.
- Click the Devices tab in the top navigation menu.
- Click the target device in the device list.
- Click the Edit Device tab in the left-hand navigation menu.
- In the Hostname or IP field, delete the hostname and replace it with the IP address of the target device.
- Click Save to commit the changes.
- Run a replication job.