Problem: The following occurs when running the VSSadmin list writers command:
- Running vssadmin list writers command and SqlServerWriter is missing.
- There is no error message in Application event logs
- SQLserver VSS writer service is running
Cause: SQLServerWriter is missing from the target device.
Solution: Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
- First, the user will need to check if there are any spaces in the databases names. please run the query:
select '#' + name +'#' from sys.databases
If the user notices any space in database names e.g. #test # , the user will need to make sure we remove the space from the database name. Please follow this article to rename the database name : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345378.aspx. Once the space in the database name has been removed, then issue vssadmin list writers command and check if the SQLwriter is there or not.
- If still SQLwriter is not there then the user will need to check the service logon. This is typically an NT authority/system or any user which has been mentioned as service logon and is added in SQL server as sysadmin privileges. If the logon is a sysadmin, then the user will need to change user accounts or make the current user account a sysadmin. Finally, run the VSSadmin list writers command once more.