Axcient provides the user the option of copying the cloud replicaiton jobs to a Direct Attach Storage (DAS) device for the initial seed replication job to the Axcient Cloud.
The initial run of a cloud replication job could take substantial time because all data must be copied and speed is limited by the user’s Internet connection.
If the initial cloud replication would take more than 14 days to complete, the user has the option to use a DAS device for the data transfer. In this case a DAS device is connected to the Axcient appliance, the cloud replication job data is copied to the DAS device, and the DAS device is then shipped to an Axcient data center where the data is transferred into the Axcient storage system.
To copy replication jobs to a DAS device for the initial cloud seed replication, the user will need to do the following two steps:
1. Confirm the Backup Offsite option is enabled
The first thing the user will need to do is confirm that all the devices’ replication jobs have the Backup Offsite option enabled. This is required for the replication jobs to be copied to the initial seed DAS device. The DAS will only be able to copy replication jobs with this option enabled.
Do the following:
1. Log in to the Unified Management Console (UMC) of the appliance protecting the target devices.
2. Click on the Devices tab in the top navigation menu.
3. In the Devices page, select a protected device.
6. For File Jobs: If the selected job is a File job, click the the Edit Jobs button in the left-hand menu.
7. For File Jobs: Now, confirm that all the required files and folders are appropriately selected for cloud replication.
Click Save to commit any changes.
2. Start the initial seed DAS
All replication jobs with the enabled Backup Offsite option will be copied to the seed DAS.
The user is unable to choose specific jobs to be copied to the DAS.
The best way control which jobs are copied to the initial seed DAS is by enabling/disabling the Backup Offsite option.
To begin the initial seed DAS process, do the following:
1. Connect the DAS directly to the Axcient appliance.
3. Scroll down to the copy removable drive for offsite section. The user will be shown a list of all the replication jobs with the Backup Offsite option enabled.