Supported hardware configurations for Replibit devices
- Replibit is intended to be deployed on physical devices.
- Axcient offers a wide range of preconfigured hardware devices that are available from the License Portal for sale or lease.
- BYOD hardware is also supported for partners wishing to customize their devices or migrate from other solutions using their existing hardware.
- For partners wishing to build their own devices, consult our complete list of hardware recommendations:
- External SAN storage utilized for the data storage pool must be connected at 4 Gigabits or faster. (i.e. Fiber Channel, or iSCSI over 10 Gigabit ethernet, etc.)
- See also Minimum Recommended Hardware for Replibit Devices
Deployment as a virtual machine
Limited support is available for deploying a Replibit device as a virtual machine.
Axcient Support will provide support for Replibit-specific problems only. Support for troubleshooting of performance, deployment, configuration, or other issues related to the hypervisor layer is not available.
Replibit virtual machines are supported under the following requirements:
- VMware ESXi 5.5 or newer (other hypervisor platforms not supported)
- Intel CPU’s only
- Virtual machines must have CPU enabled passthrough of Intel VT
- 12GB RAM minimum
- 4 CPU cores minimum
- E1000 or VMXNET3 network adapter
- VMware Tools installed (Recommended)
Axcient does not perform rigorous testing of virtual deployments across a wide range of hypervisor major and minor releases. Issues encountered related to specific builds and releases of VMware are beyond the scope of Axcient Support troubleshooting and assistance.
Supported protected system configurations
Supported Operating Systems
* Microsoft Server 2003 and 2008 systems are deprecated and end-of-life. Although Replibit is able to perform backups for these operating systems, support is limited to basic troubleshooting and diagnostics.
Supported DR Recovery Mechanisms
Supported Application Aware Backups
** Only the Active Cluster member in the DAG group will receive a VSS-aware backup of the message store. Passive cluster members will receive a crash-consistent backup. (This is a Microsoft limitation of the Exchange VSS Writer.)
Supported Virtual Disk Formats
Advanced Format disks
Please refer to the full article here: Recover protected systems with 4K AF drives
Support for protected systems with Advanced Format Disks (Native 4K block size.):
- Backup of protected systems with 4K drives requires agent version 2.25 and newer.
- Recovery of protected system data requires Replibit version 10.1.0+. (Backups made with Agent 2.25 on older appliance version will be recoverable once the appliance is upgraded.)
- Limited recovery operations for protected systems using 4K disks is currently available (Only Mount, iSCSI, and Bare Metal Recovery.)
- Virtualization and Export operations will be added in a later release.
In general, any supported operating system that can successfully be backed up by Replibit can be virtualized, including both legacy MBR-BIOS based systems, and newer EFI-BIOS based systems.
One notable exception to the rule: XEN Server Virtual Machines with XEN-Tools drivers installed cannot be virtualized on Replibit. XEN-Server 7.x+ paravirtual drivers are incompatible with the KVM Hypervisor used by Replibit.
Bare metal recovery
- Replibit currently does not support bare metal recovery onto systems that utilize Windows-Only Drivers. These are typically embedded motherboard RAID controllers on very low-end servers or mid-range workstation devices. Examples of unsupported controllers include the Dell PERC S3xx series, Intel Cxxx controllers, and HP SmartArray B120/B320, as well as most white-box motherboard RAID controllers. These controllers are supported only in SATA/ATA Mode, not RAID Mode. Recovery options back to a physical server using one of these controllers is limited. You may either disable the ‘Fake’ RAID controller and revert to standard SATA mode, or alternatively you can load Windows on the physical hardware in Hyper-V mode and recover the system as a Hyper-V guest.
- The Replibit Bare Metal Restore Wizard cannot recover systems with multiple Windows volumes on a single physical disk. (e.g. C: and E: on Disk 0). If it is necessary to perform a recovery of multiple volumes onto a single disk, refer to the instructions for Manual Partition Recovery .
Third party software
The Replibit x360Recover platform provides for a Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) model to allow the maximum flexibility in choosing or re-using a wide range of hardware devices.
Along with this BYOD model comes a level of access to the BDR operating environment not typical of other solutions. This presents the ability for partners to install their own customized software solutions onto the BDR.
Installation of third party software onto your Replibit BDR devices is unsupported by Axcient. Any such installations are undertaken at the risk of the partner and should be thoroughly tested before widespread deployment to your fleet.
Axcient performs extensive quality and regression testing around all aspects of the platform, but only with the default software configuration employed. Adding additional software components can have unexpected consequences and may impair the operation of your devices.
Do’s and Don’ts