Unsupported hardware configurations for Replibit devices
- SMR-based hard drives are not suitable as Replibit storage devices. Shingled magnetic recording (SMR) is a hard drive storage technology that improves data density and storage capacity on disk, at the expense of write performance. Severe performance limitations have been observed with Replibit when employing SMR-based hard drives, and these storage devices are not recommended for use with Replibit.
- Single-disk installations from a Replibit appliance or vault (where both the operating system and customer data co-exist on a single drive) are NOT supported for Bring-Your-Own Hardware (BYOD) solutions.
- Single-Disk installations of Replibit are supportedONLY for Axcient-branded Nano devices.
- BYOD solutions are supported only for systems with at least 2 disks: one for the operating system and a separate disk for data.
- It is HIGHLY recommended that you build your BYOD systems with at least 4 disks: one disk for the operating system, and at least 3 disks for your data pool in a RAID configuration to provide redundancy.
- External SAN storage connected at less than 4 Gigabits (i.e. iSCSI onver 1Gig Ethernet) is not supported.
Unsupported networking configurations
Backing up remote devices to an appliance over WAN or VPN connections is currently unsupported.
To back up protected systems which are remote from the on-site appliance, we recommended deploying the agent in Direct-to-Cloud mode and performing backups directly to the vault.
For details on deploying the Direct-to-Cloud agent, refer to the following articles:
Unsupported protected system configurations
Unsupported Operating Systems
* Image-based backup and recovery can be a network-intensive operation. Replibit does not recommend deployment on networks slower than 1Gigabit between the BDR and the protected system.
Other Unsupported Configurations
*** Replibit expects a standard Windows partition layout. Uncommon configurations (like custom OEM partitions, boot volume not on Disk 0, C: drive not on a primary partition, etc.) may prevent virtualization from succeeding.
**** Replibit does not support recovery scenarios where multiple volumes exist on a single disk. (e.g. C: and E: on Disk 0) During Recovery each Windows Volume will be created on a separate disk.
In general, any supported operating system that can successfully be backed up by Replibit can be virtualized, including both legacy MBR-BIOS based systems, and newer EFI-BIOS based systems.
One notable exception to the rule: XEN Server Virtual Machines with XEN-Tools drivers installed cannot be virtualized on Replibit. XEN-Server 7.x+ paravirtual drivers are incompatible with the KVM Hypervisor used by Replibit.
Bare metal recovery
- Replibit currently does not support bare metal recovery onto systems that utilize Windows-Only Drivers. These are typically embedded motherboard RAID controllers on very low-end servers or mid-range workstation devices. Examples of unsupported controllers include the Dell PERC S3xx series, Intel Cxxx controllers, and HP SmartArray B120/B320, as well as most white-box motherboard RAID controllers. These controllers are supported only in SATA/ATA Mode, not RAID Mode. Recovery options back to a physical server using one of these controllers is limited. You may either disable the ‘Fake’ RAID controller and revert to standard SATA mode, or alternatively you can load Windows on the physical hardware in Hyper-V mode and recover the system as a Hyper-V guest.
- The Replibit Bare Metal Restore Wizard cannot recover systems with multiple Windows volumes on a single physical disk. (e.g. C: and E: on Disk 0). If it is necessary to perform a recovery of multiple volumes onto a single disk, refer to the instructions for Manual Partition Recovery .
Third party software
The Replibit x360Recover platform provides for a Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) model to allow the maximum flexibility in choosing or re-using a wide range of hardware devices.
Along with this BYOD model comes a level of access to the BDR operating environment not typical of other solutions. This presents the ability for partners to install their own customized software solutions onto the BDR.
Installation of third party software onto your Replibit BDR devices is unsupported by Axcient. Any such installations are undertaken at the risk of the partner and should be thoroughly tested before widespread deployment to your fleet.
Axcient performs extensive quality and regression testing around all aspects of the platform, but only with the default software configuration employed. Adding additional software components can have unexpected consequences and may impair the operation of your devices.
Do’s and Don’ts